Non-Surgical Answers to Knee Pain in Chicago
Knee pain may occur all at once with agonizing force as the result of an acute injury, or it may simply seem to be there one day for some inexplicable reason. But however your knee pain strikes you, it may cause not only extreme discomfort but also a dangerous lack of stability in the afflicted joint, causing you to give up your favorite activities or lose your ability to earn a living. But even chronic knee pain can be treated -- and without resorting to surgery.
Our Chicago chiropractor at Realign Chiropractic, PC, Dr. Peter Georgiou, can track down the root cause of your knee pain and prescribe non-invasive natural treatment methods to help you restore your quality of life.
Why Is My Knee Hurting?
The knee joint is far more than just a hinge. This complicated structure is made up of a series of muscles, tendons, and ligaments that provide sufficient strength to bear your weight, while also giving the joint enough flexibility to accommodate running, walking, dancing and all kinds of other motions. The bone ends in the leg are cushioned from each other by a layer of protective cartilage and guarded in the front by the patella (kneecap). If any of these components are subjected to damage or abnormal stress, knee pain typically results.
Knee pain may stem from a sudden, obvious injury, or it may be associated with long-standing musculoskeletal issues. An impact to the knee, especially while your weight is planted on it, can rupture ligaments, torn tendons, damaged cartilage, and throw the parts of the knee out of alignment with each other. More subtle causes of knee problems include:
• Runner's knee (patellofemoral pain syndrome) - Inflammation caused by a breakdown of cartilage in an unstable, overly-mobile kneecap
• Bursitis - Inflammation of the fluid-filled bursa that reduces friction in the knee
• Arthritis - Arthritis in the knee may be associated with premature wear and tear on the knee cartilage
• Tendon inflammation and injury - Overuse of a knee tendon may cause chronic inflammation and pain
Chiropractic Adjustments and Other Conservative Care
Our Chicago chiropractor may find a misalignment either in your knee joint or elsewhere in your musculoskeletal system. Imbalances from the feet through the spine can put the knees under extra pressure, possibly causing soft tissue strain or joint deterioration. Non-surgical treatments may include:
• Chiropractic adjustments in the joint itself to normalize function
• Adjustments in another part of the body to straighten your posture and weight distribution
• Massage therapy to speed healing, relieve pain and increase flexibility in knee muscles and connective tissues
• Physical medicine to help strengthen and stabilize an injured knee
Get Control Over Your Knee Pain – Contact Our Local Chicago Chiropractor Today
If you're ready to put your knee pain on the run, take control today by calling Realign Chiropractic at 773-665-4400. We look forward to helping you feel and move better!